Forum
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Simple TCP/IP Control Socket

I would like to ask for the ability to control the RTSA/V6 via a simple (sockets based) TCPIP control port.  The reason for this level of control is to simplify the requirements to interface, meaning no requirement for the VISA library package (i.e. the HiSLIP-SCPI block).  You could even utilize the same exact command structures as in the HiSLIP-SCPI block, but just transact through a simple TCPIP (v4) socket.

Note - Whereas HTTP is supported, it is a protocol/port that we are not allowed to use

Quote from CorNic East on 13/05/2022, 18:27

You could even utilize the same exact command structures as in the HiSLIP-SCPI block, but just transact through a simple TCPIP (v4) socket.

That is exactly what the SCPI block is doing. You don't need a VISA library to use it.

Alternatively you could use the provided DLL for interfacing with the Spectran V6 (it doesn't support other RTSA functions though), or use the script block to implement your own interface (a TCP javascript wrapper is available).

That is exactly what the SCPI block is doing. You don't need a VISA library to use it.

EXCELLENT!  I wasn't sure that the SCPI was implemented this way.  What port are you using (i.e. 5025)?

Alternatively you could use the provided DLL for interfacing with the Spectran V6 (it doesn't support other RTSA functions though), or use the script block to implement your own interface (a TCP javascript wrapper is available).

This was my first approach until I quickly determined that the core RTSA functions were not part of the API.  The script block may be the way to go here, but now that I know the SCPI block supports direct sockets then this may be the better approach.