Forum
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Can the SPECTRAN V6 be used below 10MHz e.g. down to 9kHz or even 1Hz?

I know that the lower frequency limit is stated with 10MHz but i am wondering if the V6 can be used below 10MHz?

Yes this is possible, BUT:

1. The default calibration is only valid down to 10MHz, so you might get wrong power readings below 10MHz. We offer an optional calibration down to 1MHz.
  2. The overall noise will raise the lower the frequency.

If you can live with those limitations you are free to give it a try.

Attached is a screenshot showing what will happen and what you will get.

The red MaxHold trace was a calibrated testsignal sweeping over the full frequency range at -40dBm. So the V6 is quite accurate untill around 6MHz and then starts to drop simply because no calibration was performed below 10MHz .

The yellow AVG trace shows the noisefloor which is rising the lower the frequency.

The example markers at 1MHz, 2MHz, 3MHz, 4MHz, 5MHz and 10MHz show this quite good.

After calibrating the lower frequency range you get the real picture as shown attached. We offer this additional calibration as an option:

Low Frequency Measurement with the SPECTRAN V6

Uploaded files:
  • SPECTRAN-V6-Low-Frequency-Performance.jpg
  • SPECTRAN-V6-Low-Frequency-Performance-Calibrated.jpg

Similar to Rx @ 9KHz (uncalibrated), do you allow the TRANSMIT o/p frequency to be set as low as 9 KHz?
I need to generate some ELF/HF signals and am willing to accept noise, level and frequency inaccuracies (I understand it will not be calibrated) if the SW setting allows selection of up to 9 KHz in the lower end.

No this is not supported so far.

My application is to simply record IQ stream. I believe this is not dependent on calibration. So, can i use V6 RTSA250/500 to capture IQ streams right upto 9 kHz, regardless of calibration?

Yes you can capture down to DC but as mentioned the sensitivity and image rejection is not specified and the sensitivity drops a lot (high NF).